OLLI@UGA’s Travel Study Committee will offer a 4-night trip to Washington, D.C., departing Wednesday, October 10, returning Sunday, October 14, 2018. Your fellow OLLI members and several of our excellent class presenters are asking UGA graduates and students who work in various areas of journalism and government to set up special tours and meetings to give you an insider’s understanding of government operations and news reporting today. On our provisional itinerary we will:
- Visit Delta Hall, a residence for UGA students who work in various government areas in Washington, and we will have one or more events there where we will discuss government and news media operations in today’s Washington environment.
- Tour the Newseum, a multimedia display of the history of newsgathering and reporting in the United States.
- Tour of the United States Capitol, with opportunities to meet with a Georgia Senator and Georgia Representative.
- We plan a tour of the U.S. Supreme Court, with opportunity to meet with one or more Supreme Court Justices.
- Tour the headquarters of the Washington Post and National Public Radio.
- Have free time to visit whatever attractions you wish to see on your own.