Around UGA and Athens
We aim to keep our members up-to-date with all of the events of interest in the Athens area.
Ongoing: UGA Master Calendar
Ongoing: Athens-Clarke County Library Calendar // ACC Library: Computer Classes
Ongoing: Oconee County Library
Ongoing: Special Collections Library
Ongoing: Community Calendar (provided by Boom Athens magazine)
Ongoing: Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation
June 1, 6 PM – The Hot Club of San Francisco:Madison Morgan Cultural Center Music Festival This ensemble of accomplished and versatile musicians celebrates the music of Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli’s pioneering Quintette du Hot Club de France with style and panache. This concert ($25) includes an option for a seasonal dinner buffet ($25). A cash bar will be available and complimentary dessert will be served during intermission.
June 2, 10:30 AM – Gypsy Swing for Young Audiences: Madison Morgan Cultural Center Music Festival This concert for young audiences will explore the original ‘world music’, played by modern day nomadic peoples of Europe, as well as by many aficionados around the world. This event is free and open to the public.
June 10, 4:30 PM – Piano Duo: Julie Coucheron & Elizabeth Pridgen: Madison Morgan Cultural Center Music Festival. Close out the season with a thrilling piano duo concert featuring well-known favorites such as the Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring. Ticket price will include 3-course dinner provided by Town 220. $62
Click on the link or title for more information about each item
- Caregivers of family members with memory loss. The University of Georgia Assistive Robotics and Technology Lab is looking for people who care for a family member with memory loss (mild cognitive impairment, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease) to provide their opinions on the potential of socially assistive technology to help persons with dementia.Participants receive a stipend for their participation in a 2-hour technology demonstration and interview. No technology experience is required. If you are interested, please contact Dr. Jenay Beer, 706-542-4120, UgaRoboticsAndAging@gmail.com.
- ProjectCHAMPS: Couples Healthfully Aging as Movement Partners Study The UGA Department of Kinesiology is seeking older adult couples aged 60+ with internet access and the ability to use social media. Participants will be asked to incorporate changes into their physical activity and will be asked to participate in a supervised exercise program. Upon successful completion of the project, participants can be provided with a Fitbit and a free 2-month membership to the Center for Physical Activity and Health (CPAH), which is valued at $70.00. For more information please contact the Body Composition and Metabolism Laboratory at 706-542-4395 or email at CHAMPS.UGA.email@example.com.
- Parkinson’s Disease Study The Kinesiology Department at UGA is looking for healthy individuals over the age of 65 to participate and serve as healthy controls in a research study. The study is conducted in the Ramsey center, lasts 2 hours, and each participant receives $10. This is a great way to help contribute to research at UGA! See our flyer for more details.
- UGA Silver Dawgs – The “UGA Silver Dawgs” is a game day ambassadors program sponsored by the UGA Athletic Association that will begin in Fall 2018. This program will be made up of mature individuals that are dedicated to making the Georgia Football experience exceptional for everyone in attendance. To submit an application, please complete the online application.
- OLLI@UGA is very proud of its relationship with UGA’s Institute of Gerontology. For more information on their work or to volunteer for a study, please visit their website.
- Usability Testing of Telepresence Technology The purpose of project is to provide user testing experience and gain insight into the attitudes and acceptance of telepresence technology by older adults. No technology experience is required! We are looking for • Adults 60+ to 85 years of age • Able to write and fill out questionnaires. Payment incentive is $15.00 an hour. Study should take no more than 2 hours. We are flexible and can conduct interviews at a location convenient for you. To sign up contact Jen (Xian) Wu at 803.999.6878 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org