Around UGA and Athens
We aim to keep our members up-to-date with all of the events of interest in the Athens area.
Ongoing: UGA Master Calendar
Ongoing: Athens-Clarke County Library Calendar // ACC Library: Computer Classes
Ongoing: Oconee County Library
Ongoing: Special Collections Library
Ongoing: Community Calendar (provided by Boom Athens magazine)
Ongoing: Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation
March 20, 3 PM – The 2018 Donald L Hollowell lecture will be held on March 20 at 3pm in the UGA Chapel. Civil Rights activist and MacArthur Fellowship recipient Maria Varela will speak on the principles of the civil rights movement and their relevance today.
April 10, 2 PM – Getzen Lecture on Government Accountability featuring Walter S. Shaub, Jr., former director of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics. This event is free and open to the public. It will be held at the UGA Chapel.
Click on the link or title for more information about each item
- ProjectCHAMPS: Couples Healthfully Aging as Movement Partners Study The UGA Department of Kinesiology is seeking older adult couples aged 60+ with internet access and the ability to use social media. Participants will be asked to incorporate changes into their physical activity and will be asked to participate in a supervised exercise program. Upon successful completion of the project, participants can be provided with a Fitbit and a free 2-month membership to the Center for Physical Activity and Health (CPAH), which is valued at $70.00. For more information please contact the Body Composition and Metabolism Laboratory at 706-542-4395 or email at CHAMPS.UGA.email@example.com.
- Parkinson’s Disease Study The Kinesiology Department at UGA is looking for healthy individuals over the age of 65 to participate and serve as healthy controls in a research study. The study is conducted in the Ramsey center, lasts 2 hours, and each participant receives $10. This is a great way to help contribute to research at UGA! See our flyer for more details.
- UGA Silver Dawgs – The “UGA Silver Dawgs” is a game day ambassadors program sponsored by the UGA Athletic Association that will begin in Fall 2018. This program will be made up of mature individuals that are dedicated to making the Georgia Football experience exceptional for everyone in attendance. To submit an application, please complete the online application.
- OLLI@UGA is very proud of its relationship with UGA’s Institute of Gerontology. For more information on their work or to volunteer for a study, please visit their website.
- Usability Testing of Telepresence Technology The purpose of project is to provide user testing experience and gain insight into the attitudes and acceptance of telepresence technology by older adults. No technology experience is required! We are looking for • Adults 60+ to 85 years of age • Able to write and fill out questionnaires. Payment incentive is $15.00 an hour. Study should take no more than 2 hours. We are flexible and can conduct interviews at a location convenient for you. To sign up contact Jen (Xian) Wu at 803.999.6878 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org