Around UGA and Athens
We aim to keep our members up-to-date with all of the events of interest in the Athens area.
Ongoing: UGA Master Calendar
Ongoing: Athens-Clarke County Library Calendar // ACC Library: Computer Classes
Ongoing: Oconee County Library
Ongoing: Special Collections Library
Ongoing: Community Calendar (provided by Boom Athens magazine)
Ongoing: Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation
Click on the link or title for more information about each item
- ProjectCHAMPS: Couples Healthfully Aging as Movement Partners StudyThe Department of Kinesiology is currently enrolling participants in a research study involving group exercise classes for older adults to improve physical function. The study will be conducted through the spring semester.
Specifically, we are seeking couples between the ages of 60 – 80 who:
- Are able to transport themselves to the Ramsey Student Center on UGA’s campus
- Are able to attend 9 weeks of in-person exercise classes on Tuesday and Thursday mornings 8:00AM – 11:00AM
Interested individuals can complete the questions at this link to determine their eligibility (https://bit.ly/2MAzutN).
For information, please contact: CHAMPS.UGA.email@example.com
RESEARCH STUDY OF SENSORIMOTOR INTEGRATION
- The University of Georgia, Department of Kinesiology is seeking participants for a RESEARCH STUDY OF SENSORIMOTOR
Older Individuals: Male or female, 65 to 80 years old, No neurological problems, No serious health problems
The purpose of this research study is to examine the role of sensorimotor integration during learning of motor skills.
Participation requires a time commitment of 90-120 minutes each on up to three separate days.
All participants will be reimbursed for their time and transportation costs.
For more information or to see if you qualify please contact:
Tarkeshwar Singh, UGA Sensorimotor Neuroscience Laboratory: firstname.lastname@example.org, (706) 542-4132
- Volunteers needed for opening of new children’s garden at State Botanical Gardens. 23 March 9am-4pm. If you are interested in assisting with the opening of the Alice Richards garden at State Botanical Gardens. Visit their Engage page for more information.
- Friends of the Georgia Museum of Natural History. 26-28 April. Spring Field Trip to Tall Timbers Research Station in the Red Hills that comprises about 300,000 acres of plantation land between Thomasville, GA and Tallahassee Fl. For more information visit http://www.gmnhfriends.org/event/friends-spring-field-trip/
- Work with UGA Law Students: ACC Courts Self Help Center needs volunteer active or inactive attorneys and paralegals to help pro se litigants complete legal forms. Work with UGA Law students. Mondays only 10-2, flexible commitments. Email Anne O’Niell, email@example.com for more information.
- Standardized Patients – The purpose of the Standardized Patient program at the UGA College of Pharmacy is to provide pharmacy students an opportunity to practice their clinical decision making and patient interaction skills in a “true-to-practice” environment. The College of Pharmacy is seeking individuals to portray a patient in pharmacy encounters (We will provide a script and information about the patient scenario to act out). Examples of encounters include: receiving counseling on a new prescription, asking about ways to treat heartburn, or confusion about how a medication is used. Students have a specified amount a time to develop rapport and interact with you to meet your needs. You then provide feedback on how the student listened and responded to your concerns.
- UGA SilverDawgs – The “UGA SilverDawgs” is a game day ambassadors program sponsored by the UGA Athletic Association that will begin in Fall 2018. This program will be made up of mature individuals that are dedicated to making the Georgia Football experience exceptional for everyone in attendance. To submit an application, please complete the online application.
- UGA’s Institute of Gerontology: OLLI@UGA is very proud of its relationship with For more information on their work or to volunteer for a study, please visit their website.
- Usability Testing of Telepresence Technology The purpose of project is to provide user testing experience and gain insight into the attitudes and acceptance of telepresence technology by older adults. No technology experience is required! We are looking for • Adults 60+ to 85 years of age • Able to write and fill out questionnaires. Payment incentive is $15.00 an hour. Study should take no more than 2 hours. We are flexible and can conduct interviews at a location convenient for you. To sign up contact Jen (Xian) Wu at 803.999.6878 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diet Quality, Stress, and Caregiver Burden Relationship in Long-Term Caregivers Graduate student Taylor Kennedy is seeking to understand how people who care for family members, neighbors and loved ones get support and take care of their own health while caregiving. Seeking specificially those who have been providing care for family members, neighbors and loved ones with a chronic illness or condition for at least one month to volunteer to take a brief survey online. The survey should take approximately 25 minutes to complete. All responses are anonymous,and kept confidential unless required by law.